Sunday, February 27, 2011

I need Ad-vice

English newspapers like the Times and Telegraph cost a fortune here in Tenerife, so instead I follow the news on my laptop, or on television (we can receive Sky, CNN, and BBC World News).

However, there are several English language newspapers published in the Canary Islands that are aimed at the expat and tourist market. These newspapers are distributed to shops and hotels and are available free of charge. I usually browse through these whilst waiting in my local unisex hairdressing shop.

These free newspapers carry very little actual news; most of the pages contain advertisements. And since most of the advertisements are placed by small and medium-sized local businesses (mostly Spanish), the standard of written English often leaves a lot to be desired.

Here's a selection of very odd advertisements, possibly mispelt, that I discovered just inside the back page of one of these newspapers , under the mysterious heading "Services".

Los Cristianos Laddies, do Greek, various kisses, in front of bus station.

Las Galletas, French with dour glass figure, discret apartmento.

Las Veronicas, Transvesti 20 years, blond, 140 breasts.

I don't understand; what on earth are these advertisements all about? It's a problem, and when I'm confronted by a problem, all sorts of mental images flash through my mind. My imagination is still working overtime on the examples above, but I think I'm nearly there with the one shown below.

Puerto Colon, Miss age, Dutch, in privy place.




Do you think I'm on the right path here?
:-)

7 comments:

Dolores Doolittle said...

Well, she certainly seems to be looking out for you, CI...
Couraaaaaage! (as they say over here)

Canary Islander said...

Hi Dolores!
Puerto Colon, Miss age, Dutch, in privy place.

I think it's an elderly spinster of Dutch origin living in Puerto Colon who is trying to sell her secluded home.

But it's possible I'm wrong about this.
:-)

JW10 said...

If you do go ahead with the transaction, CI, I look forward to being invited to the housewarming party.
:-)

Canary Islander said...

Hi JW!
Yippee! A housewarming party in the Privy Place! Do you think guests should bring their own stools?
:-)

Expat said...

Oh, CI. Once again I am lost for words. Strange, that, since I usually suffer from verbal diarrhea.

Canary Islander said...

Hi Expat!
That sounds urgent, so the housewarming will take place at your earliest convenience!
:-)

Canary Islander said...

Hmmm... well, you've all proved to be a great help so far! Right now I'm puzzling over this one:

Las Veronicas, Transvesti 20 years, blond, 140 breasts.

I'm thinking this is an advertisement for a 20-year-old Italian designer vest decorated with gold transfers, chest size 140cm.

But it's possible I'm wrong about this.
:-)