Saturday, May 7, 2011

SCARAMOUCH



Here's a self-portrait of my famous Rugby scar. The scar runs down from the collar bone to just below the mole on my chest. It is majestic, isn't it?

I took the photo on my balcony, and you can see my favourite plant, a Dipladenia (or Brazilian jasmine vine), behind me. It is an energetic climber and flowers from late Spring through to the end of Autumn.

For proof positive that the scar is mine, you can click on the photo to enlarge it. And click on it again if you really, really like! Just above the balcony wall you can see the back of the sign above the infamous STARCO complex in Las Americas.

I've titled this blog Scaramouch because I'm a very boastful but cowardly person. Whenever I fear attack, I tear off my shirt to reveal the scar, and I scream. This sometimes frightens my attackers off. If that doesn't work, I start reminiscing about my time in Special Forces in Vietnam. If that doesn't work either, I launch into my pre-prepared speech about my open-heart surgery which had gone wrong because they'd operated on the wrong side of my chest. Otherwise I leg it.

But the really, really wonderful thing about my scar is that Kathy likes to run her finger along it.
:-)

14 comments:

Canary Islander said...

Please comment on "The Trouble with Gravel" in http://doloresdays.blogspot.com/

Thank you!
:-)

Dolores Doolittle said...

Dipladenia? I only have eyes for You, CI! And now, we're off to a barbecue - the flesh won't be half as sizzling though!

(Thankee for kind suggestion, by the way...)

JW10 said...

Mein Gott! Are you a shark hunter or something, CI? That is a very impressive scar shimmering proudly in its lengthy longitude. I would hope that the lady judges are of the “size isn’t everything” school and include other factors.

Shape: asymmetrical scars are ugly therefore a good looking scar should receive bonus points.
Texture: depending on the judges tastes. Do they like the wound to be rugged or smooth?
Personality: very important in a scar.
And finally, what we’ve all been waiting for-
The Bikini Contest: What would our scars look like in swimming trunks?

Dolores Doolittle said...

But size IS everything JW!

Oh, OK then, put your bikinis on and we'll give Shape, Texture and Personality a thought...

JW10 said...

Dolores, I can’t believe you are a sizist. Personality goes a loooonnnngggg way, you know.

Oh well, it’s time to cheat. Through gritted teeth and much pain I have extended my existing scar. Now I have a nice two-tone scar comprising of an old healed wound and a new fleshy mark in a raw state full of blood. I think I’m going to faint...

Dolores Doolittle said...

Hell's Teeth, JW - how agonisibly decorative that sounds... d'you do tattoos as well?

Canary Islander said...

OK, OK, I'll leave a comment here.

It's something I want to get off my chest...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EXPAT!!!
:-)

JW10 said...

A-HA. New evidence.

"It's something I want to get off my chest"

Is it the painted on scar you want off your chest, Darth? :-)

Dolores Doolittle said...

Yes- Jolly Happy Birthday, Expat!

CI - for gawd's sake don't tell JW you want the scar off your chest! Painted or not, he Has the Implements, and even He was going to faint...

Canary Islander said...

Well, the scar is real enough (sorry to disappoint you, JW!)

But like you, JW, I didn't get the scar while I was on the playing field. My problem was a recurring shoulder dislocation (quite common in rugby). The arm kept popping out whenever it took a hit. Very painful, but easy enough to pop back in. No, the scar is the result of a remedial operation to tie the ligaments together. And the op was a complete success!

You can imagine the fun I've had over the years:

"Crikey - how did you get THAT?"

"Well..." (dramatic pause, and then begin another very tall story...)

:-)

JW10 said...

Not disappointed in the slightest, CI. Sorry to hear about the pain.

I've also tall-taled my scar. The story usually starts with "There were ten of them..."

You really are my blood brother. Glad your ligaments are all in alignment. No more line-outs for you. :-)

Dolores Doolittle said...

lord, how Gruesome all this is!

A calming vodka & grapefruit calls...

Canary Islander said...

Vodka and grapefruit, Dolores? I'd had you down for a Bloody Mary, nourishingly prepared with Tabasco and celery salt...
:-)

Dolores Doolittle said...

Well, I certainly couldn't resist such a tantalising suggestion, CI! And it's Nourishing too?

I like vodka with many things, although I once got carried unfortunately away with vodka & Tia Maria...

And your favourite melange?